Decluttering blog 6: the balance of big efforts
Thursday, September 13, 2018
I'm at the point where I just want to close the door and ignore what's in that office! This is the challenge of big projects. You have to strike the balance between the need to finish, and the potential for burn-out! Also the importance of keeping the priorities in front of one!
All too often, in my case, burn-out has won that battle. Thus the statement about the two most common kinds of clutter: unmade decisions and incomplete projects. The old computers are a prime example of incomplete projects... you upgraded, but you didn't finish the job by clearing off and getting rid of the old. Maybe you thought you might need something more that's stored on the old machine, or maybe you just wanted to play with the new one!
Right now? Old friend Mount St. Omigawd East is being used as a staging area for things on their way out. Two, correction, three of the pictured boxes have planned homes, just haven't got them distributed to them.
Before I head out on the great road trip in a week or two, I need to have this table cleared off again. That *might* mean re-consolidating back into the office some of these things, those that haven't yet been delivered to their next home (or those that don't have a new home identified yet). Sigh.There is a balance, as I started out to say, especially in long-term projects. I will be taking time off the project as I have trip prep coming up. I haven't even started on the area that Shasta wants to start on... I'm supposed to separate out the things that belong to the kids! If I haven't done this in the past 11 years? What makes me think I'll get it done before I leave on the next trip?
The challenge is to put the things I'd been making the most progress on aside, to pre-prepare for the kids to go through their own piles (which I'm hoping they will do while I'm on my trip), and be as ready as I can be for Shasta's first work day (October 6th).
Meantime, daily living goes on.
Today's start:
- Water vessels filled, hydration in progress.
- Recess will be early, the workout with the coach.
- Meaningful activity also planned, a review of the finances.
- If I get the box of electronic recycles to Best Buy, that's gravy!
The weekend will feature a volunteer gig at a local triathlon, so that will be an early morning on Sunday.
Hope my Spark buds are all out there making the best decisions they can, at whatever point of the journey they occupy on this one and only Thursday, September 13, 2018, we'll ever get. Because we're worth taking care of, body, mind, and spirit!

No comments:
Post a Comment