Saturday, November 26, 2016

This was NOT how it was supposed to go!

 Saturday, November 26, 2016

Yeah, that's me. Note to self: head is NOT supposed to make contact with concrete. Note to others: I don't think the head did, but the sunglasses dug into my eyelid, digging quite a significant hole, as you can see. The sunglasses? Ruined!

This happened about 2 1/2 miles into what was supposed to be a 9 mile run. Fortunately, I was NOT running solo. My coach was with me. And a good Samaritan stopped and helped staunch the blood. She also provided transport back to the cars, where coach would not let me drive, he took me home at my request.

But as soon as I saw myself in a mirror, I knew I needed to get to an ER and have that "hole" addressed.  

My non-Sparking sis came to the rescue... transporting me and staying and keeping me company while the medical folks looked me over. And stitched me up:

Pretty stitching! Two interior, four exterior, on the eyelid. They also did a CAT scan to ensure I didn't damage the brain. No concerns there, and they let me go with instructions to go back to my primary care physician for follow up and to get the stitches (exterior) removed in five days.


I even retrieved the car and brought it home (not that far, and I was careful... I was not under any drugs, other than the topical they gave to numb the skin for the stitching.)

Now I'm icing, and on Tylenol (minimum dose) as needed... which so far has been just that one pill. And the doctor pronounced me a tough old lady, and blessed me to run again if I felt up to it, as soon as tomorrow. I'm taking a wait and see attitude about that.



The running jacket I put in a cold water rinse before heading to the ER... and considering the front had been pretty much covered in blood? Look how clean it came out, with just that cold water rinse!

Meantime, I'm fine, really I am. But taking no chances. Doing as the doctor ordered.

Hope whether your day has gone how it's supposed to or not, you're doing the best you can, and today I'm grateful for my level of fitness, which should see me through this, as it does so much. And for that level of fitness? Guess what site has been my motivation central?

Darn right it's SparkPeople.com! Spark on my friends, and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author's notes: I learned something new today

This blog is a separate place to put selected saved Blogs from my years at SparkPeople.com.  Today, July 31, 2021, I discovered that I can s...