Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Baby Steps, did I say?

 Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Thank God for the existence of support structure! We all need it, even those of us the most independent.  I have three sisters, a son, and a daughter in law in town. All have been checking up on me, since I live alone, and they have been made aware of my situation with the fall last Saturday.

I stuck the most recent photo, this morning's mug shot, out on my status: Here it is again for once I take it off the status.

The two days in between looked worse, probably about the same as each other, as the bruising progressed. The most disturbing (to me) part of this recovery was the nausea... which is a symptom of concussion. My body seemed to tolerate solid food Saturday after I got home, but starting mid-morning Sunday, not so much, and the rejection of everything but water began. This lasted through Sunday and Monday, even clear fluids not being well tolerated. Last night I got down about half a cup of green tea, and it stayed. This morning, you would not believe how good apple juice and saltines tasted.

The scale is indicating dehydration, reaching bottom scream weight this morning, so it's a good thing the body is healing, it doesn't have much to lose, as my non-Sparking sister commented when we discussed last night.

The apple juice and saltines are not part of my normal fare. I was rescued by sister SPINNINGJW, who brought them over.

I've been visited by all three sisters and my son, who checked for other concussive symptoms. Both SPINNINGJW and the mythical son have some medical training, and all the sisters have been Girl Scouts. But Jen and Jon especially know what to check for, particularly in the area of brain injury... so at various visits folks checked my pupil sizes, my balance, my temperature, etc.

Stayed home from work yesterday, and will again today until I'm sure the body is tolerating at the least bland foods. And will gradually introduce food as I heal. Stitches are slated to come out on Thursday afternoon. So, yes, Spark gang, I am recovering, albeit slower than the patient ever wants!

Why is it that most of us patients, aren't? Sense of humor intact.

I limited screen time significantly the past couple of days, out of deference to those concussive symptoms... that's the protocol these days. This morning, feeling much, much better, so I'm actually playing catch up with subscribed blogs.

Hope that all of you are out there making the best decisions you can with the choices you are given!  Because let me tell you from the inside of this recovering self: having an underlying level of health and fitness is SO worth it when you add trauma to the picture. I think that LINDAKAY228 said much the same when she had her stroke. Being in good physical condition surely assisted her recovery. So, despite the fact that my injury happened while running, I'm not going to stop being active! I may dial it back for a while, listening carefully to what my body is ready for. Being active, and choosing the right nutrition is part of what keeps me in the shape to recover when things go sideways.

Life is good. I am grateful. And I value every one of you Sparkpeople who are looking in on me, and cheer for you on your own healthy living journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author's notes: I learned something new today

This blog is a separate place to put selected saved Blogs from my years at SparkPeople.com.  Today, July 31, 2021, I discovered that I can s...