Tuesday, June 17, 2014

For Whom The Race is Run

Tuesday, June 17, 2014


I've quipped before that I run because I can. I run for those who cannot.

Each time I go out, I do better when I fix in my mind specific people for whom I am racing. I have several groups, and the list grows. This is part 1, because I will likely add more as I go on. This one is about the event that really put a burr under my behind to GET fit again, because life is short and precious.

13 of those who cannot do this for themselves are names with faces that are burned in my memory for very personal reasons. You see, they are people who lost their lives on November 5, 2009, at Fort Hood, Texas. My son was there, but not in the room, by the simple fact that he had given up his place in line to one of his squad while he went to get his eyes checked.

That day he lost five people who trained with him. Our nation lost 13 of the 1% who choose to serve.

Another 32 of these extraordinary people were wounded.

The TRI in Wisconsin is set in my mind as particularly in honor of the members of the 467th and 1908th MED DET CSC units of the US Army Reserve. One specific name I want to invoke, because she was part of the 467th (based in Wisconsin), and because it was her spare stripe that was pinned on my son at his promotion to SGT. Her name was SSG Amy Krueger. She was young, idealistic, proud to serve... and ready to deploy. She never made it off shore.

I will be racing in her home state, and that of Capt. Russell Seager. In honor and memory, I dedicate this effort to the fallen from that day. Never forget. This is the list of the fallen, as it originally was published.

  • Michael Grant Cahill
  • Maj. Libardo Eduardo Caraveo
  • SSG Justin M. DeCrow
  • Capt. John Gaffaney
  • Spc. Frederick Greene
  • SSG Amy Krueger (Kiel, WI)
  • Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka
  • Spc. Jason Dean Hunt
  • Pfc. Michael Pearson
  • Capt. Russel Seager (Racine, WI)
  • Pvt. Francheska Velez
  • Col Juanita Warman
  • Pfc. Kham Xiong

LIFE is good. Prize it, every day. It's better when I maintain my body in a way that means I have the choice to be a force to help, rather than a victim of circumstance. That means fit. It is at its best when kindred spirits are along on the journey. Consciously, consistently, and creatively making choices that support this, I remain GRATEFUL for each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author's notes: I learned something new today

This blog is a separate place to put selected saved Blogs from my years at SparkPeople.com.  Today, July 31, 2021, I discovered that I can s...